Sunday, February 12, 2012

Donna 1/2 Marathon


I did it! Just 5 months after having my 4th baby I ran a 1/2 marathon! For weeks I debated running it just because I had not been training like I should and was very scared that I would disappoint myself either by walking some of it or worse not being bale to finish it.  Nikki had told me about "Galloway" style which is running for a certain amount of time then walking for a minute.  I tried running this way and really began to like it.  Just 3 weeks prior to the race I committed to running and considering the registration fee there was no turning back!!! The longest run I completed before the race was 8.5 miles.  The week of the race I ran once then rested the rest of the time.

There was so many of us running/walking that leading up the day I was getting excited.  As soon as the weekend of the race came along my nerves were brewing.  We had a pre-race pasta dinner with the O'Sullivan's and Nikki and I worked hard on making 'hot pink tutu's" to wear while running.  The next morning I woke at 4:20 AM to begin getting ready.  Coffee, water, small bagel and peanut butter to start the morning off.  Nikki and Amy arrived at 5:30 and off we went! We met Laura, Cari, Heather, and Kim at Shauna's house and Jon drove us up to the Mayo.  Thanks goodness he was so kind to this for us. 

This just so happened to be the coldest day of our "so called" winter.  Barley any winter weather this season and today we woke up to 28* with a windchill of 19*.  Bundled with items that I could throw off on the road and ready to get this race started. 

Its now 6:30, the National Anthem is being sung and the gun goes off.  I am now so excited and the adrenaline is pumping through my blood. The amount of people who were out cheering us on was overwhelming!  Amy, Nikki and I are off to a good start and keeping a great pace.  By the 3rd mile Nikki, AKA Speedy, takes off.  Amy and I still keeping a good pace ran consistently for 7.5 miles.  At that point we began 4:1. At about mile 9 I saw my cheering squad, Scott, Colby and Dylan, which helped me push on.  By mile 11 I was beginning to feel the exhaustion but I also could see the end coming. 




Once I turned back onto San Pablo the adrinaline kicked in again and I crossed the finish line at 2:09:39! a full 20 minutes faster than I thought I would be done! Let the celebratiuon begin.....but there was none.  It was so cold that all I wanted to do was to shower and be in warm comfy clothes. 

The rest of the day was not as celebnratory as I had wanted.  Unfortunaltely I had a bad day/week of a very upset belly caused by dehydration and over doing it.  Since I have desire to remember this portion I will not blog about it :-). 


No comments:

Post a Comment